Monday, September 14, 2009

Post-Concert Disorder

What am I talking about? It's the 48-72 hour period you experience after attending a major concert. You constantly listen to the artist over and over. They become your new favorite. At least, that's how it works with me. Why? The experience of a rock concert gives people feelings of awe and leaves them wanting more. That's why when you ask a person how the concert was, they'll respond with "best concert ever!!!" I know people that attend many concerts and the most recent one is always the best one according to them.

I just recently attended 4 Tragically Hip concerts and was actually in the second row for two of them. But I decided that none of the four were number one on my list (the second show did make it to #2 on my list, however) My favorite concert occurred in May 2008 when one of my other favourite bands, Rush, came to Winnipeg for the first time in 26 years. Tickets went on sale in January 2008 and from the moment I bought them, It was all Rush, all the time, for my music selections. By the time the big day came around, I was so pumped, it was ridiculous. Rush tore the roof of the MTS Centre and put on an amazing show. The next two days after the concert, Post-Concert Disorder reared its ugly head. I couldn't part ways with the band that I had listened to for the last 4 months. Eventually I moved on but it was very tough. My high-school English teacher attended the Eagles concert last year. The next 2 weeks, he constantly yapped about the concert and everytime we walked into class, the Eagles were on his radio. I was at the point where if I had heard "Hotel California" one more time, I would have taken his radio and smashed it to pieces.

I seemed to have battled the disorder quite well after the 4 Hip shows last week but I'm scared it may find it's way back again next month. My favourite band, Metallica, will be playing the MTS Centre on October 12th. Unlike Rush, who I listened to heavily for 4 months before their concert, I have been listening to Metallica heavily for 7 YEARS. This concert will be a dream for me but the day after will definitely be tough. 1) I'll probably be hungover and 2) I'll have to face the fact that my favourite band has come and gone and won't be back for quite a while. There will definitely be some Metallica on the IPod that day. Will it be the best concert ever? It might be, but if you want an honest answer, just wait until a week after the concert when I get over the post-concert disorder.

Link of the Week: If you're not familiar with the Tragically Hip, just watch this video if you have time. This is their most popular single, New Orleans is Sinking, with a 4-minute impromptu jam in the middle. By the way, the lead singer is not on crack, that is just his unique stage presence.



What's Next: The NHL Season begins October 1st and you can check back in the coming weeks for my NHL preview. I will also be making weekly NFL picks every Friday so if you want to make some money, make sure to stop by the blog.

Before I go, I just heard that actor Patrick Swayze has died after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. He starred in "Dirty Dancing" and "Road House". I think we'll let the boys from Sunnyvale Trailer Park give Swayze a fond farewell.

3 comments:

  1. Metallica will be the best I ever saw but I don't go to many concerts. And by the way, is that the Trailer Park Boys episode with Sebastian Bach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I envy you, I could only go to THREE Hip shows!

    Although the set for the first one wasn't anything eye-popping, but WOW at the second and third shows. DFN is my favourite album and I never thought I'd be able to hear songs like IoD, Yawning, or Daredevil with the Hiccups intro.

    What an amazing band, I can't stop talking about them. Now in Edmonton they've busted out Emperor Penguin and So Hard Done By. It doesn't stop with this band, and I think thats one reason why their live shows kick so much ass. You go to ACDC, Kiss, Aerosmith, whatever, you know what you're getting. They play their big songs.

    You know what I heard from everyone I told that I was going to 3 shows? "Do they play the same set everytime?"

    Jeez, is this what people expect out of bands nowadays? To play the same show everywhere they go? That's pretty sad. What, did live music die off or something? Does every show have to be a circus act?

    I don't have tickets to Metallica unfortunately. But, yee-haw for Dinosaur Jr and Matthew Good.



    The Swayze Express has taken on new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with the points you make. They're one of the only bands I can think of who doesn't have a clear-cut hit that must be played every concert. I ask myself what their biggest hit is and I flip-flop between 7 or 8 songs. That's the reason I went to all 4 shows knowing I would hear different songs each night.

    My buddy and I freaked when we heard that Day For Night stuff as it is also one of our fav albums. You forgot to mention Thugs and Scared as well. They played Grace Too 2 nights and it might have been the song of the night for each of those shows.

    ReplyDelete