Sunday, January 17, 2010

Theatre Thoughts

Last year, when I was an official blogger for the Manitoba Theatre Centre website during MillerFest (a festival honouring the works of playwright Arthur Miller), I focused my blog topics on my random thoughts throughout the plays. Well, fast forward one year, and I think it's time for the return of Kevin's theatre thoughts.

IN THE CHAMBER


Last Man in Krakendorf


-The play was supposed to begin at 8:00 pm, but ended up starting at about 8:10, due to audience members still arriving. You know that feeling you get at a concert where the headlining band is supposed to be on at 9 and it's already 9:10? The anticipation and excitement build, you begin to shake and move uncontrollably knowing that at any moment, the lights will dim and the show will begin. I wonder if theatre fanatics get that same feeling when a play starts up a bit late. It certainly didn't look like it Thursday night, but mind you, a 65- year old theatre-goer is not an 18-year old rock and roll fan.

-Definitely the most memorable opening scene of a play that I can recall. In fact, if there was an "Opening Scene of a play/movie" hall of fame, this scene would be in there along with the likes of Star Wars and Saving Private Ryan. Ok, that's pushing it, but if I ask you in 5 years what you remember most about the play, I wouldn't be shocked to get the following answer:

"Oh yeah, that was the play where the guy had the boner at the beginning."


-Microsoft Powerpoint in a play? I never thought I would see the day.

-The most uncomfortable moment of the play? When a picture of a man jumping out the World Trade Center flashed onto the screen. Apparently trying to compare it to pigs burning to death, another comparison probably should have been used. But what did you expect from a guy as unpredictable as Douglas Turner.

- This was the first one-man play I had ever seen, and like everybody else, I was absolutely blown away by the acting of Gordon Tanner and Steven Ratzlaff. Seriously, 50 minutes of continuous monologue? And not once can I remember them stumbling or stalling for a moment or two.

- I'm still confused as to why the play did not open up with the song "Pigs on the Wing" by Pink Floyd.


Last Man in Puntarenas


-Watching Hugo put on his glasses, and then take them off again, and then put them on again, and then take them off again as he put down his speech, was quite comical to me.

-I'm sure I wasn't the only one that had his/her eyes focused on the waiter in the background for most of the time. It was fun watching him wander around, disappearing for a few minutes, and then reappearing. What was he going to do next? Fascinating stuff.

-Just an idea... Wouldn't it have been cool to pop the balloons rather than remove them from the seats to signify that the guests were leaving? Plus, it would have woken up the 5-10 people that were sleeping in the audience.

-After the play, the audience was treated to some wine, crackers, cheese, and fruit. If I had to pick only two foods that I would eat for the rest of my life, crackers and cheese might be the front-runners.

-These two characters were both trying to tell a story, but couldn't quite get to the point and interrupted themselves countless times to tell other stories or say other things on their mind. You just want to yell at them and say, "Get to the flippin point already". And then I remembered that they are accomplished actors and I am an 18-year old student. Probably wouldn't have gotten the best reaction.


Everyone's ripping this play, but to be honest, I didn't find it that bad. Being a person that likes to rant from time to time, I guess I found the 50-minute rants to be passionate and comical. I believe that if the main topics of the plays were not pigs and health care, there would be a different reaction to this play.

One thing I know for sure, I have gained a tremendous amount of respect for one-man shows and would definitely attend future similar performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment