Monday, September 6, 2010

"What is journalism?" (and what happens when journalists screw up)

Before I answer the “What is journalism?” question, let me take you back to five years ago, when I was just finishing off the “gruelling” stages of elementary school.

A time when I had a different view on the term “journalism.”

Back then, I believed that journalism was something strictly confined to print. It made sense to me. A journal is something you write in.

(I even had my very own journal in Grade 1 and still have it lying around my house to this day. Embarrassing is not a strong enough word to describe what sits in this journal. Let’s just say nobody will ever see this thing. Ever.)

I thought that television personalities were strictly broadcasters. How can they write in a journal? It took a while before I snapped out of that phase and throughout high school, I began to realize that journalism is a heck of a lot bigger than just the Winnipeg Free Press or the Winnipeg Sun.

RRC journalism instructor Duncan McMonagle always makes sure to tell us that Creative Communications is NOT a print journalism program, like many tend to believe, and there are many different ways that stories can be told, especially in the age that we live in today.

Whether by television screen, computer screen, newspaper, or radio airwaves, a journalist’s goal should be the same.

It is tough for myself to come up with a solid definition of journalism but here are three words that I believe are very important when it comes to defining the term.

Truth- The golden rule of journalism. Make sure the facts are correct and that the work done is YOURS and YOURS ONLY.

Public- The audience. The people who want to hear the stories.

Important- The question burned into every journalism student's brain…Why should we care?

But obviously, the rule of truth is the biggest.

All journalists should follow this rule or else Oklahoma State Football coach Mike Gundy will let you know how he feels..

1 comment:

  1. Well structured post Kevin! This video makes me want to see "Friday Night Lights" again! That's one passionate football coach.

    ReplyDelete