Monday, September 27, 2010

Thanks for the memories Daniel McIntyre..

Today was the official end to the civic election assignment that had haunted....oops,I mean thrilled journalism students for the past 3 weeks. But seriously, walking around a neighbourhood trying to get residents talking about politics?

Yeah, it was hard.

I spent a lot more time in the Daniel McIntyre ward than I wanted to, and I have made the decision that I won't set foot in that ward again for at least 6 months. But all that extra time had me seeing some very interesting things.

Yessir, it was a very interesting journey in the Daniel McIntyre ward and here are my 7 memories from my time roaming around the neighbourhood.

(Why 7? Because it's my blog and I do what I want)


The walk of shame

Decided to take a loooooooooooooong 30 minute walk down Ellice Avenue looking for interviews. It's a popular street right? There's got to be people willing to talk. Nope. The big streets (Sargent, Ellice, St.Matthews) did not come through for me in the least bit.

The guy with the vintage Toronto Blue Jays hat at the bus stop

Me: "Are you a resident of this ward?

Blue Jays: " No, my sister lives here"

Me: "Ok, well see ya later"

Blue Jays:"But I CAN tell you this..."

All I can remember from the next 4 minutes of conversation was something about the Bible.


Obby Khan at the Co-op car wash

Walking down Ellice, there was Bomber OL Obby Khan vacuuming his car, a day after his team had lost a game to the Toronto Argonauts. And yes, I cracked a joke(to myself) about the Bombers sucking.....

The attack of Keith Bellamy's dog

As I walked into candidate Keith Bellamy's headquarters, I was greeted by a dog who jumped at me like I was the incumbent councillor, Harvey Smith. After seeing my life flash before my eyes, the dog wandered off realizing I wasn't Smith and everything got under control.

Signs, Signs, everywhere signs

Daniel McIntyre, by far, has to be the ward with the most candidate signs up. Whether it's public or private property, the names of these candidates have to be grilled into the resident's minds. The funniest scene....a house that had the signs of 3 different candidates on the same lawn. Is it fair to say that one of the candidates did NOT ask this house for permission to put up a sign?

I swear, Lito, I'm only a student

Walking into Lito Taruc's headquarters, him and his campaign staff looked at me like I had a gun and was holding them hostage. Actually I had a pencil, notebook, and voice recorder in my hand.

So after some convincing, Lito took me into this secret back room and made sure I shut the door. (?????!!!!????) After considering turning around and running back down Sargent Avenue, I asked him the questions and he gave me solid answers.

The story of Ray Haddad

This 80-year old man has seen it all during his 55-year stint at McGee Street. He lives across from a couple of sketchy rental houses and sees all the all-stars(drunks, prostitutes, drug addicts) in the community.

What about the time a pack of kids surrounded him in a back lane with 2X4's and threatened to beat him up?

Or the time he threatened to beat a guy down because his wife got called a prostitute?

Ladies and gentlemen, the Daniel McIntyre ward!!!!

Haddad is an ex-boxer and many times, showed me his boxing stance, and how he would have knocked those kids with the 2X4's right on their ass had they touched him.

Frankly, I wouldn't have been surprised had he knocked me on my ass. Some journalism punk bothering him in his own yard.



So to sum it all up, my memories of Daniel McIntyre consist of a long and winding road, a Blue Jay bible thumper, a Blue Bomber sucking, a wild dog, a smattering of signs, a secret back room, and a violent old man.

Thanks for the memories, Daniel McIntyre.

No comments:

Post a Comment