Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Golf is boring to watch? Give me a break...

When people come up to me and say that golf is boring to watch on TV, two things come to my mind:

1) I should kick this person right in the shin
2) I should tell them why their opinion is wrong

Fortunately, I've never had to incorporate #1 and I instead politely disagree with their opinion. I immediately say to them that golf is one of the most dramatic sports, therefore creating must-watch TV. Now usually they'll mutter something and walk away, but if they were to stay and continue to argue their point, here are 5 reasons that I would bring up which would change their boring perspective.


1) The Music

As an 18-year old, I should be enjoying the music of Kanye West or Jay-Z. Instead I find myself enjoying the CBS and NBC sports golf themes just a little more. But seriously, listen to these themes before you go out to play a round of golf and I guarantee you will be more than pumped to go to the first tee. Not that I've ever done that....





2) International Announcers

The CBS golf team has a few Englishmen, a Scot, an Aussie, and a guy from the southern United States. So many accents. It really is something to behold when all these guys are talking to each other. I`m basically travelling around the world while sitting on my couch just giving us another reason why being a couch potato can actually amount to something.

3) The Low talking Announcers

Staying with the announcers, I know they`re told to be quiet but it really is fun to listen to how deep they make their voice go to sound quiet and dramatic at the same time. It almost seems like they have a bet going on to see whose voice can get the deepest because they get lower and lower throughout the broadcast. In fact, my chest pounds as the waves from my television's bass amp hit it.

4) The Gallery

Sometimes they steal the show with their comments in between shots. Sometimes they wear goofy clothing that would have made Payne Stewart jealous. Sometimes they distract the golfers leading to an on-course freak-out. Whatever it is, they create a lot more fun when watching golf.



5) The crazy camera angles

It`s really hard to turn away from the Slo-Mo swing cam, especially the close-up when the driver makes contact with the ball and the tee goes flying. Breathtaking television.





So the next time someone tells you that golf is boring to watch on TV, bring up some of these reasons and get them excited to watch some golf in the future. And if that doesn't work, you can always kick them in the shin.

No comments:

Post a Comment