Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A skill which none of you have (I don't think...)

I was given a great skill at birth that I have used quite extensively over the past 18 years.

Yet I can't find any space for it on a resume.

You see, I am a professional license plate memorizer. As far as I know, there is nobody who can come close to my license plate memorizing abilities.

It takes me 2-3 times to see the license plate and model of a car and memorize whose car it is and then..boom...it's in my mind forever.

I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. I have always had somewhat of a photographic memory and I can remember my Mom's old van (923 KBS...back when the numbers came before the letters) and my Dad's old car (AKR 693).

It amazes me that some people can't even remember their own license plate number, let alone other people's.

There are definitely some advantages to this but there are some disadvantages as well...

Advantages

-If someone ever dares to side swipe my car and run, I'll remember the plate numbers and they'll be in some hot water.

-If I see a friend, I can roll down my window, and yell at them as they look around in complete confusion and wonder what the hell is going on. This has happened on several occasions.

Disadvantages

-There's something about this that has the word pervert written all over it.

-Me: 'Hey look, there's (insert name here..)

Friend: Where, how do you know?

Me: That's their license plate number. I memorized it.

Friend: Wow, you're weird man.

Me: Uhhh........

So the moral of this story is do not drive your car around me because I will be watching like a hawk for those 6 digits at the front and back of your vehicle.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing skill. I know one: my friend's pengu1n license plate. Yes, the "i" is a number one. Gag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the plates of both of our cars memorized, and a random motorcycle plate I saw about 10 years ago. I decided I wanted to memorize it - and I did!

    I have a pretty decent memory, but I tend to remember small facts people tell me or little bits of conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I'm kinda like that too. I remember all 4 my Dad has had since I was about 5 (I've only ever had one, and have just transferred it from car to car). It's especially weird when I notice I'm sitting at a light behind a car I've followed before. Even weirder when I realized a vanity plate I'd been noticing around town was now in the driveway of my new neighbour!

    If only there were some way to parlay this "skill" into fame and fortune, we'd be set...

    ReplyDelete