Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who are you calling a TwitFace?

TwitFace = Twitter and Facebook.

Does that work? Can we officially call someone who has profiles on both of these social media sites a TwitFace? I`m probably the only one chuckling now but that`s fine.

Anyways, I use 'em both.

I was introduced to Facebook in summer of '07 and Twitter in spring of' '09.

Here's a few things I have noticed from each site.

Facebook

-I consider a friend someone who a) I've talked to more than once in my life b) Someone who if I run into them on the street, I can stop and say hi to them

That's not how Facebook friends works.

They suggest friends in the top right corner who they think you might know. I honestly don't care if this person has 30 mutual friends. If I don't know them, I'm not adding 'em. But that doesn't stop others. I've always wondered why you would accept a friend request from someone you've never talked to. Oh, we added each other on Facebook now, I guess we're friends. Doesn't make sense to me.

- I hear they're good, but one thing that grinds my gears is all those updates about the many different Facebook games and activities. Especially those new ones where others get to answer questions about you.

Q: "What's Kevin's favourite food?" A: "Idk.... probably pizza."

No, you idiot, it's nachos. Now stop answering questions about me.

Or how about the ones who play Mafia Wars and Farmville all day. Oh, someone built a horse stable. Oh, someone's at Level 278. Did I add these people?

- You gotta love some of the groups that are created. So many times when looking at a group name I say to myself, "Hey, I think the same way" or "Hey, that's happened to me before!"

Examples include: The "Dion Phaneuf takes it up the ass from Pierre McGuire" group, The "James Hetfield is God" group, The "David Beckham sucks" group and many other brilliant creations.

-Ah yes, the classic Facebook battles. Does anybody else get really excited when there`s a status on Facebook where two people keep telling each other off? And then another friend (the third man in) comes in to defend her friend and then all hell breaks loose before it will suddenly stop when everybody stops commenting. Damn, it was just getting good.


Twitter

- You`ve got 140 characters to make your point, so get to it. I love the 140 character limit. Leads to easy-to-read statuses and some really funny ones as well. Stops everyone from posting lyrics to songs that I don`t really give two shits about, as well as other overly long statuses that put me to sleep faster than a soccer game does.

- Following celebs is really cool. I don`t follow too many notable personalities but the ones I do usually post quite often. Mike McIntyre, Bill Simmons (ESPN writer), Jay Onrait, Kenton Larsen. A Twitter celeb hall-of-fame if I`ve ever seen one.

- I have gotten quite a bit of news from Twitter in the past few months due to other followers or friends links and comments. Good thing? Bad thing? I`m not really sure.

-Obviously a wider audience than Facebook with virtually anyone being able to become your friend. But do I want that wide of an audience following me? Yeah, that`s fine. As long as members of the Toronto Maple Leafs organization don`t see me criticizing their lame-duck franchise. (On second thought, I probably do want them to see that)

-Weird, I only know about 4-5 people from my high school graduating class at Windsor Park last year that have Twitter, yet all 115-plus of those students are on Facebook. Sadly, I believe that my community of Windsor Park likes to creep on people a little more than the average neighbourhood. Twitter has no pics of you on your vacation or pics of the latest party. Windsor Park says no thanks.

So, as we are in the midst of our CreComm PR proposal, the question arises as to what strategies we can use to our advantage with Facebook and Twitter.

For Facebook, the best way to get the word out is to create a group and to send it out to everyone you know. Most people have anywhere between 200-600 friends and it`s a sure bet that some people will join the group as well as some of their friends who may see the group on their news feed.

For Twitter, you can really spread the word by targeting those who you know may be interested in your message or product and who may be willing to follow you back. You can use little words (called hashtags) that match up with your message. Others search for that same word, find you, and as John Madden says , BOOM!.... you`ve got 5 new followers.

So there`s my thoughts on Twitter and Facebook. Now excuse me while I get back to building my farm.

(LOL, I know, lame ending)

2 comments: