Monday, January 24, 2011

The Work Placement..

I think I speak for everybody who went on a work placement when I say that I learned way too much to fit into a readable blog post.

So I decided to narrow it down to a top 5 list.

But before we get into the list..let's not forget the moments that didn't make the cut.

Honourable Mention:

-I learned that Global reporter Jeff Keele is a Metallica fan. Jeff Keele is now my favourite reporter of all-time.

-I learned that the Italian place in 201 Portage Avenue (formerly Canwest Place) has the best chicken burger in the entire city.

-I learned that the word "filming" should not be uttered in front of some of the Global cameramen.


Now on to the top five...

5. Try telling an entire news story in 20-30 seconds. This is what the writers at Global have to do when writing voiceovers.

No time for details, just get what's important in there. Oh yeah....and make sure it matches the footage that the cameramen shot and make sure the last line leads into the sound clip.

4. When doing a television interview..you have to shut your mouth and let the other person talk.

I knew this already..but it takes time to get used to. Nobody needs to hear you agreeing with what the person is saying. I used to be bad at this but have gotten a lot better.

3. I learned that despite the great ideas that some reporters may have for that day's stories, they may not pan out in the end. If News Director Jon Lovlin tells them to go cover this, then that's what they do.

2. I learned that sense of humour is key in a newsroom. If you don't have a sense of humour, especially at Global, then you don't have a job in the newsroom. Simple as that.

1. You better be multi-faceted. Tamara Forlanski helps produce the newscast, writes tons of VO's, and even reports at times. Nicole Dube is a weekend anchor, a weekday reporter and an occasional producer. Mitch Rosset is a weekend sports anchor, and a weekday news producer. And, of course, all shooters have to edit stories as well, which apparently wasn't the case at Global up until a few years back.


And on a side note, I learned that Global might just be the funnest newsroom in the city and it was a pleasure being there for three weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment