Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Random Thoughts on the World of Blogging


My intro to blogging


We have to flashback 3 years ago in 2006. This is when I read my first blog online. The blog was titled "Awful Announcing" and it focuses on sports media, especially when announcers screw up or say something questionable.

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/

I had never seen something quite like this online. There were constant updates throughout the day, new videos posted, and it was all in this one little space.

Soon, I began exploring other sports-related blogs and realized that this was becoming pretty popular around the internet. Since then, reading blogs has become part of my daily life. But, interestingly enough, I never ever thought of creating one myself.

That was until September 2009 when my Public Relations class began creating their own blogs.
This is how Kevin's Bacon came about. The name has nothing do with what I write about. You'll rarely see me talking about movies and actors, such as Kevin Bacon. It was just a lame attempt at a catchy name. Which is one of the first characteristics I noticed about blogs as I discoverd them.

There's some off-the-wall names such as The Sports Hernia, The Money Shot, Wizznuttz, and Boner Party. But how much does the name of the blog have to do with the viewership? I can't speak for everybody, but I know that the more crazy the name is, the more likely it is that I am clicking on it.



What I do on my blog

It didn't take too long to figure out what my blog was going to be based on. My life revolves around sports and music with a sprinkle of television and entertainment thrown in. And throughout my first month and-a-half of blogging, there have been a few posts from each of these categories.

One thing I have made sure to consider when posting blogs is that they're not all about one topic. Like everyone else who writes a blog, I want people to come and check it out. And, to my astonishment, not everybody cares about sports. So it wouldn't help if I wrote anti-Toronto Maple Leafs blogs every time.


Which is why I mix up my topics from time to time. I've talked about Seinfeld, Metallica, the Trailer Park Boys, The Beatles and Tiger Woods.

Five things that don't really have a hell of a lot in common.

And I will always remember to make the title of the post catchy so I can hopefully suck the reader in to whatever crap I'm talking about.



Blogging and Rage

I've been in this boat before. Reading an opinion on a certain blog and voicing my displeasure by yelling out loud in front of nobody. When people have strong opinions, they're going to stick by them. And now that you can freely display your opinion on the web, we see these strong opinions on a variety of topics from politics to overpriced objects. I'm not afraid to admit that I get angrier faster than an average person. But I've only posted 2 angry rants on thsi blog. However, I can feel the anger brewing inside.

I am constantly hearing crappy bands popping up the radio station that I love, Power 97.

I am done hearing about Michael Jackson being dead, and Jon and Kate lurking in the news over and over again makes me sick.

My 2 favorite teams, the Montreal Canadiens and the San Diego Chargers are struggling.

Just a heads up to everyone, there are going to be some angry posts in the upcoming month.


No, I don't live in my mother's basement.


An interesting term I've heard journalists use to define bloggers is the whole "people with no life who live in their mother's basement" stereotype. Now I understand that they must get a tad frustrated with the emergence of blogs. But just take a chill pill, media members.

Why don't you just let people voice their own opinions without you guys telling us how many years you've been in the business and how good you are, etc...... We know that you're the professionals. You worry about your own job and we'll worry about pretending to do yours.


A computer?!?!?!?

Try talking about blogs to most people 60 years of age and up. This is what the conversation might look like:

Young man: Have you seen a blog before?

Old man: Yes, I've seen many frogs, especially out near th----

Young man: No, a blog. You know, on the internet?

Old man: ..................

Young man: The worldwide web?

Old man: .....................

Young man: The computer?

Old man: Bah. I don't need a computer. What do I need a computer for. So many bloody buttons. What has th.........

So to wrap it up, I intend to keep this blog going for as long as I possibly can. It makes me feel good to know that someone (hopefully) is viewing my opinions that I have shared for a while.
And if I'm lucky, maybe someone will comment on them and agree with my oddball opinions.












1 comment: